There are different types of AdSense ads available for publishers. These ads come in variation of shapes and sizes. This property enables publishers to easily incorporate and blend AdSense ads into their websites. Different sizes are provided such that the ads blend in different presentational styles and layouts. More on different sizes of AdSense ads will be discussed under Ad formats which are just discussed in the later part of this guide.
AdSense offers you different types of ads that you can display on your website. You get to select the type of your ads which you wish to see in your pages. Depending on the content you can choose from the lot which type of ad you wish to display on your site.
i. Text Ads:
Text ads are the most commonly used AdSense ads. These are the ads which only display textual advertisements. They consume very little space a web page. According to the policies of AdSense, a publisher is allowed to place a maximum of three content links, three link units and two search boxes on each page. Text ads come in varied shapes and sizes which ranges from small button ads to humongous skyscraper shapes. The text ads are chosen such that they match with the relevant content of your site. Here are some of the advantages of using text AdSense ads in your site:
- They capture attention very easily and also have catchy headlines.
- They have a strong call to action and contain keywords that match the content on the web page.
- Unlike different types of advertising which require smaller files to load, text ads are loaded very quickly. This loading speed depends on the server. Text ads are loaded instantly, hence also reducing the loading time of web page.
- Text ads can rank your website higher in search engine rankings. They can get you substantial and high quality traffic. Text ads are search engine friendly.
- With correct formatting, text ads blend very easily with your site.
- You can squeeze in more text ads within a particular space.
ii. Image Ads:
Image ads are actually graphic ad. It is a form of contextual advertising where clicks are to done on different images which are relevant to respective ads. There are different technical requirements for different types of image ads. Different types of image ads are non-animated image ads, animated image ads and flash ads. Image ads compete in an auction with the text ads for the same space on your website. Choosing to display both of them increases the competition for ads to appear on your site, provided your site is worth these kinds of AdSense ads. Increase in competition will earn you more. Google determine a page by page basis and determines which ads are likely to make you more money. They also use keyword matching technology to get displayed on relevant ads. Advantages of image ads are:
- The biggest and the most important advantage of image ads are that they have the same practicality of text ads but boosts user experience by displaying graphics which is more attractive than text ads.
- Adding graphics and images to your website enhances the look of your web page.
- Image ads are larger and easier to see. Catchy images can grab user’s attention very quickly.
iii. Video Ads:
Similar to image ads, but videos are used by advertisers to attract customers. Large volume is consumed by video ads. A link is provided at the end of the video to click. Advantage of video AdSense ads are :
- Adding videos adorn your website with a more dynamic presence.
- They can help to make your site interactive by providing an audio visual element to your static web content.
- User experience is greatly enhanced which can lead to higher click through rate.
- From an advertiser’s point of view, it can show the direct use of the product. A real example will be more attractive than text or image.
iv. Gadget ads:
These are the customized mini sites that run as advertisements on AdSense publishers. This can be seen as a running ad within a browser. Advantages are as below:
- Ads are interactive, engaging and provides a greater appeal to users.
- Provides value to advertisers as visitors stick on publisher’s site.
- Boosts up user experience to a great level which can lead to an increase in higher click through rate.
v. Rich media ads:
To make users more engaged with the website, rich media ads are used. With rich media, you can have AdSense ads that expand when users click on the ads. In some advertising networks, ads increase in size when users roll over the cursor or scroll a page. But in AdSense, ads will only expand when clicked upon. The ads will expand up to double the width or height of the original display. Users can click any time to close the ads. These ads include videos or images. Rich media basically describes an advertisement that uses advanced technology (streaming audio and/or video or programs such as Flash or Java, for example) to heighten interactivity between user and the advertiser at the time the advertisement is served. Advantages are as follows:
- Such kinds of AdSense ads tend to communicate more information than other types of ads. Ads which provide more information are liked by audience.
- Higher number of clicks can be expected from media ads.
- Powerful branding of products can be done with them. Brand awareness can also be increased with them.
- Media ads can keep a user on the site for a very long time.
vi. Mobile Ads:
Mobile ads are advertisements which can be viewed from your mobile phones. Google mobile ads appear in Google search results, on content websites and in applications. It has a number of advantages which includes:
- With these audiences can be targeted across different platforms and devices all across the world.
- Since you are reaching to a broader and a larger audience you are able to get new customers.
- Building of brand is now easy with mobile ads as insertion of rich media ads is possible.
- Your ads will have maximum exposure to a worldwide audience.
vii. Link Units:
Link Units display a small list of topics to be displayed alongside content of a webpage. These units are related to the content of the website. They represent a small list of websites. When clicked upon these websites, a complete list of ads arises. These ads are closely targeted with the interests of the users. AdSense publishers are paid when a user clicks on the ad related to the link units, not when users click on the initial topic itself. Link units contain a small list of topics. They can be arranged horizontally or vertically. 3 or 4 topics can be listed in a single ad unit. A maximum of 3 links can be used when vertically placed and a maximum of 4 can be used when horizontally placed. Advantages include:
- Highly targeted AdSense ads are displayed in link units. Therefore relevancy and importance of your content is maintained.
- The biggest advantage of link units is that they can be inserted in a very limited space.
- Users don’t want to get intruded while they are on the site. Link units are less intrusive than other types of AdSense ads.
- Link units easily integrate and blend with the site design and layouts.
The only problem with link unit is that they require two stages of clicking before the publisher earn revenue. Each of these ads has different technical requirements which are needed to be followed. You are allowed to put up to 3 standard AdSense for content ad units, 3 link units and 2 AdSense for search boxes on each page of your site.
Generate AdSense revenue with our ultimate guide on how to make money with AdSense. This guide provides you all the exclusive strategies and tactics that will help you to boost your AdSense earnings