A URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is the destination of a web page on a website. It is the name of the page in browsers address bar. URL Optimization is needed to be done for better SEO. URL is very important as it represents the address of your web page. Search Engines identify your page with your URL. So, you should perform your task of helping search engines to identify you. A better URL SEO will result in quicker identification by search engines and hence you can get quicker rankings. Creating search engine friendly URL’s are very easy. There are certain URL factors that are taken into consideration:
- URL Format and Structure
- Dynamic or Static Nature of URL
- Brand Name in URL
- Length of the URL
i. URL Format and structure:
The format and structure of the URL should be correct and appropriate for search engine spiders. A sound and an informative URL with proper page conventions can boost your SEO success. There are a number of websites that do not follow this rule of convention and hence face the consequences of not being ranked. A proper URL SEO structure should be http://fedobe.com/adsense-guide/
ii. Dynamic vs Static URL:
Static URL is always preferred in comparison to dynamic URL which includes characters like “=” and “?”. Such kinds of URL’s are difficult to read and understand, both for humans as well as for search engines. Have a nice and a clean URL helps in quicker indexing. Dynamic URL contains query strings that pass information to the URL. Dynamic URLs are messed up. The filename/page name may lose significance because of such characters. Also the URL visibility decreases with dynamic URLs. Dynamic URLs are tougher to read and remember. They are also very lengthy. Maintaining static URL is much easier for webmasters. Static URLs ensures proper page indexing and hence preserving the link value of each page.
- Dynamic URL: http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/gen.pl?id=4&view=basic
- Static URL: http://www.example.com/4/basic.html
iii. Brand Name:
Including brand name in your URL helps to build credibility and trust among your readers. Also it helps search engines to recognize your page. With proper marketing and promotion of brand, you can help people easily remember your URL.
Short URL’s are always preferred by search engines. Also they are easy to remember. Probability of typos and any other kind of errors is also minimized. A range of 4-7 words should be used in a URL. Your task becomes tough as you need to be precise as well as descriptive within this range.
There are some other URL optimization tips that you can follow:
- Hyphens: Always use hyphens to separate words in your URL structure. Avoid using underscores in your URL as search engine crawlers treat those two words as one word. Fedobe_SEO will be treated as “Fedobe SEO” whereas usage of hyphens makes them treat as two separate words.
- Website structure: Maintain a flat structure for your website as it helps in producing short URL’s. For this, you need to minimize the levels in which directories are distributed. Increasing levels enhance the navigation problems for users as well as for crawlers.
- Case sensitive: Always remember that URLs are case sensitive. Therefore, be careful while internal or external link building. I would recommend you to use lower case letters for easy remembrance.